• Carclean.com - The Car Care Shop

Welkom op het forum van Carclean.com! Carclean.com is dé shop voor autopoetsmiddelen. En hier op ons forum vind je antwoorden op al je (poets)vragen.

Ben je op zoek naar autopoetsmiddelen en wil je deze aanschaffen? In onze Carclean.com webshop vind je het grootste assortiment car care producten van de Benelux.

• Unieke speciaalzaak in autopoetsmiddelen
    • Advies op maat door vakkundige medewerkers
    • Ongekend groot assortiment
    • Voor 21.00 uur besteld, dezelfde werkdag verzonden!
    • Makkelijk betalen: iDEAL, Credit Card, Mister Cash

Voorbereiding op Swissvax Shield

Raymond-vw

Detailing trainee
22 dec 2008
Op de voorbereiding van Swissvax Shield gebruik ik nu cleaner fluid van Swissvax.
Nu deze begint op te raken wil ik eigenlijk als laaste stap monello finale gebruiken.Kan dit of pakt deze wax niet als je met finale eindigt?

Groet,

Raymond

Hoewel ik vroeger ook dacht dat IPA wipedown voor de beste hechting kan zorgen begin ik daar nu twijfels bij te krijgen.
Na wat topics gelezen te hebben op een Engels forum (Detailingworld) van Mike Phillips kan het best goed zijn dat een wax ontwikkeld is om te hechten op een glaze (in dit geval Cleaner Fluid) en dat het soms helemaal niet goed hecht als de lak is afgenomen met IPA.

Mike Phillips zei:
Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding

Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding
The topic of bonding as it relates to a wax or a paint sealant bonding to paint comes up on most detailing discussion forums from time to time, and there's a lot of confusion and probably miss-information about this topic.

The idea presented is that in order for a wax or paint sealant to properly bond to an automotive paint finish, the paint finish must be chemically stripped so that the paint is surgically clean and free from any residual polishing oils or any other substances.

The goal is to insure there's nothing on the surface that could potentially interfere with the bonding action between the protection ingredients in a wax or paint sealant and the paint.

Follow the Manufacturer's Recommendations
The first and primary consideration goes to the manufactures recommendations. If the manufacturer of a wax or paint sealant officially recommends that the surface of the paint must be stripped clean before their product can properly bond to the paint, then you should follow the recommendations of the manufacturer as they know their products best.

If the manufacturer does not specifically recommend that a painted surface needs to be stripped clean, then whatever recommendations they do provide should be followed as they know their products best.

To my knowledge, there are only a few manufacturers in the wax and paint sealant business that recommend that the surface of automotive paint be surgically clean and bare before their products can be applied. Besides these few companies, most manufacturers either recommend to apply their wax and/or paint sealant to the paint after first using their surface prep products which can include, compounds, polishes, paint cleaners and pre-wax cleaners. And of course, sometimes there are no specific recommendations.

Back in February of 2005, this topic came up when I worked for Meguiar's as it related to applying NXT Tech Wax over a surface previously polished using Meguiar's M80 Speed Glaze.

There's a specific thread in the Hot Topics forum on MeguiarsOnline.com called,

Do Glazes/Fillers affect the bonding of NXT?

I contacted R&D, communicated with one of the Chemists, and then posted a statement provided to me on this topic.

Since leaving Meguiar's and joining the Autogeek Team in 2009, the topic of bonding has come up from time to time. I knew I had written on this topic, but could not remember the keyword or words to help me locate the above thread. Then I remembered the word, did a search and found the thread.

Here are the key words, and note the portions I've formatted to be bold, red and italic...

Taken from TheFreeDictionary.com

Miscible
Relating to two or more substances, such as water and alcohol, that can be mixed together or can dissolve into one another in any proportion without separating.

Immiscible
Incapable of being mixed or blended together. Immiscible liquids that are shaken together eventually separate into layers. Oil and water are immiscible.
I'm not a chemist and don't ever claim to be one and do everything I can to avoid talking or typing over my head. That said, it is my opinion that while the above information is supplied by a chemist at Meguiar's, it's probably true for most quality waxes and paint sealants manufactured by reputable companies, unless they state otherwise, i.e., unless they state that the surface must be stripped clean before applying their wax or paint sealant.

So unless a manufacturer specifically states or recommends that an automotive paint finish must be stripped clean for their wax or paint sealant to properly bond or adhere, then I think it's safe to say that the chemist behind the brand has created their wax and paint sealant formulas to use the same miscible oils, (or other miscible substances), in their surface prep products to aid in the bonding or adhering of the protection ingredients used in their waxes and/or paint sealants to paint.

This would be called, Synergistic Chemical Compatibility.

It's entirely possible that a lot of popular waxes and paint sealants on the market will bond or adhere to paint correctly after the paint has been prepped using compounds, polishes and paint cleaners outside the brand of the waxes or paint sealants being applied. There's no easy way of knowing or testing, but in my opinion, I would think the chances for this type of chemical compatibility to be more likely than less likely as there is probably some common chemistry involved in surface prep products and protection products that overlaps among different polish and wax companies.

That's just my opinion or guesstimate, you can make up your own mind.

My good friend, Tom aka Mosca as he's known on detailing discussion forums, once posted,

I would have to agree with Tom.

To strip or not to strip?
Do you need to chemically strip your car's paint with some type of solvent before applying a wax or paint sealant to enable the protection ingredients to better bond or adhere to the paint?
Manufacturer's Specific Recommendation
Only if the wax or paint sealant manufacturer specifically recommends this procedure.
Or
Personal Preference
If after researching this topic you personally want and feel the need to chemically strip the paint.
Or
Forum Member's Recommendation
See what I wrote above under Personal Preference
If you use good quality products and follow the manufacturer's directions, plus work clean and use good technique, then you should be able to apply your choice of wax or paint sealant directly to your car's paint after wiping off the residue left by the last surface prep product used on the paint. This, by the way, is my normal practice, and below is my personal recommendation on this topic as taken from here.

Bron: Artikel op Detailingworld

Je zou lime prime light van Dodo Juice kunnen proberen, al blijf ik een fan van Cleaner Fluid van Swissvax.

Niet alleen hechting is van belang. De wax heeft alleen de looks zoals de fabrikant die bedoeld heeft als je de aanbevolen voorbereiding gebruikt. In dit geval dus de Swissvax Cleaner Fluid. Het zal er anders uitzien met een andere ondergrond. Ik vind Lime Prime Light van Dodo Juice bijvoorbeeld wel erg anders als Cleaner Fluid.

Hier Shield na kleien en snelle cleanbeurt met Autoglym SRP:
[MOD]Foto niet meer beschikbaar[/MOD]

Foto's gemaakt met een defecte phone camera (de linkerkant van de camera is op sommige delen onscherp).

Maar ik vind het wel een lekkere look geven, denk niet dat de cleaner fluid er anders uit zou hebben gezien.
Beading goed. Sheeting geweldig, ik heb niet gemerkt dat ik 'hechtingsproblemen' heb gehad. Lime Prime Lite kan wel anders bevallen natuurlijk, omdat deze oliën bevat en SRP op basis van acryl is en hierdoor een betere ondergrond achterlaat voor sealants en waxen.

Ik heb als cleaners (en AIO's met cleanende eigenschappen) SRP, VP Achilles Prep, PB Pro Polish, Raceglaze Signature Series Pre-wax cleaner en voor de machine: Finale en Wolfgang's FG. M'n diverse waxen altijd willekeurig op deze producten gezet en nooit problemen gehad. Als je ondergrond maar goed schoon is en niet teveel olieresten heeft, dan heeft Shield er geen problemen mee om goed z'n werk te doen.
Om antwoord te geven op je vraag: Machinaal eindigen met Monello Finale en hierover Shield zetten, zou geen problemen moeten geven, mits je de polijstresten goed hebt afgenomen.

GMToyota zei:
denk niet dat de cleaner fluid er anders uit zou hebben gezien

Ben ik niet helemaal met je eens. Wij gebruikten de cleaner fluid ook vaak op onze vorige zilveren Astra en de metallic daarin kwam veel meer naar voren dan met welk andere product dan ook.
Wij hebben veel andere producten gebruikt (White Diamond, Black Hole, Lime Prime, Lime Prime Light en DGPS3) maar met geen van deze producten kregen we zoveel schittering van de metallic.

Als de fuzion "eindelijk" van deze Astra is verdwenen (zal nog wel een paar maanden duren) dan gaan we hier ook de cleaner fluid op proberen.

Ik begrijp het verschijnsel, toen ik Black Hole gebruikte merkte ik ook dat de metallic flake pop minder naar voren kwam. Wel werd de lak subtiel donkerder, hetzelfde heb ik gezien met de Raceglaze pre-wax cleaner, maar ook bij een wax als RG55. Ik vond het persoonlijk wel een mooier effect geven op een donkere lak, de lak werd minder spiegelend/glasachtig en 'dieper' / natter. Voor een lichte zilveren lak zou ik ook sneller naar iets grijpen wat meer spiegelt dan iets wat een wetlook geeft.

Bij de Wolfgang Finishing Glaze merkte ik niet dat flake pop minder werd, bij SRP en Achilles Prep eigenlijk ook niet. Vandaar ook mijn opmerking dat ik niet denk dat Cleaner Fluid een ander beeld zou hebben gegeven als op de foto (waar SRP aan vooraf ging).

Bedankt voor jullie reacties.

Als ik het zo lees zijn de meningen verdeeld.Swissvax geeft duidelijk aan dat de voorbehandeling met cleaner fluid gedaan moet worden.Ze hebben het over zware poetsoliën en dat het tevens een hechtmiddel is voor de wax.Ik heb het idee dat als ik na finale de Swissvax shield er op zet,dat het wel hecht maar glans iets minder is